Top 5 Best Apple Corers 2023:
- OXO 32681 Good Grips Apple Slicer
- SAVORLIVING Apple Slicer Upgraded Version 12-Blade Extra Large Apple Corer
- Newness Premium Apple Corer Remover
- Utopia Kitchen Apple Slicer Cutter and Corer
- OXO Good Grips Apple Corer
There are very few people on this planet who can say no to a good apple pie. One of the things that make this treat so special is the taste. If we had any talent, we would write a song about it. The second reason pie apples are so special has to be all the hard work you need to put into making them.
Yeah, the apple pies make taste like heaven. But, peeling and coring dozens of apples just to be able to put them on the table… Not nearly as fun.
Well, in one of our recent articles, we rounded up some of the best currently available apple peelers and made half this work a lot easier.
Now it’s time to cut to the very core of the problem (sorry for this incredibly atrocious pun) and try to find out what is the best apple corer on the market.
As usual, we have five contenders, so without further ado…
5 Best Apple Corers In 2023: Detailed Reviews
1. OXO 32681 Good Grips Apple Slicer – Best Corer Overall
OXO is a name that requires no introduction in the world of affordable kitchen tools and appliances. It’s no wonder then we had a real blast while using this tabletop slicer. Was it perfect? No. Perfectly serviceable? Much better than that.
Let us start with the build quality. In this regard, OXO 32681 does nothing too spectacular, but everything we have on display here simply works pretty darn well. The body is made of reasonably durable plastic while the blades are fully stainless steel.
This solid combination is spiced up with ergonomic matte handles that make slicing very simple and effortless. To make things even better, this combination of materials is dishwasher-safe, so you don’t need to put too much thought into maintenance.
And that’s not all. We are more than happy to report that the blades are pretty sharp and resilient, so you will be able to easily cut through even the hardest apples you can find in the stores.
But, not everything is perfect here. For instance, the craftsmanship could be way better. Also, the core diameter seems too narrow for bigger apples, while 16 slices are definitely overkilled for bigger ones.
Still, taking into consideration the price of this thing, we must say we were pretty happy with the results.
- Great price-value ratio
- Ergonomic design
- Stainless steel blades are very sharp
- Feels a bit flimsy
- The pieces are small and diameter bit narrow
2. SAVORLIVING Apple Slicer Upgraded Version 12-Blade Extra Large Apple Corer – Best Premium Apple Corer
Honestly, we were surprised by how simplistic this unit is. Usually, the manufacturers operating in the entry-level market try to sway their audience with various gimmicks. Not this one, though. And you know what – we’re are entirely on board with this.
First of all, this approach to design offers some pretty enticing advantages. Being made entirely from steel is only one. Seriously – this corer is hard as nails, and you would have to work very hard to get it broken.
The other advantage of this metal-clad design is that the corer is easy to maintain. Stainless steel on use here doesn’t pick stains and is dishwasher-safe, so everything is good here.
Now, how does the unit work when it comes to actual slicing? Well, taking into consideration that the only thing you need to do is to press the corer onto the apple, there is no way this could’ve been simpler.
However, the pressure you sometimes need to apply is pretty strong, and with no ergonomic handles and something to protect the table, that could be a slight problem.
Still, the blades are sharp, and the core diameter is wide enough even for the larger apples. The unit easily takes care of tomatoes and other veggies, and 12 blades allow for some pretty big slices.
- Simple yet effective design
- Spacious measures
- Hard as nails stainless steel
- Great versatility
- Not the most ergonomic product in the world
3. OXO Good Grips Apple Corer – Best Budget Apple Corer
Finally, we are moving into the handheld cored territory where things tend to be a bit simpler but nothing less competitive. How else would you explain all the hard work people from OXO put into this product?
Yes, this might be a simple handheld apple corer, but the effort we came to expect to see in some much more intricate units is visible throughout.
Let us start with the comfortable non-slip handle that simply feels great and makes coring as simple as it gets. We especially appreciate the small ribs near the top that allow for some pretty solid grip even when your hands are wet.
Also, you get one pretty spacious handle hole that allows you to easily store your corer away – a small detail, but it counts.
The corer head is made from stainless steel that has by now become a pretty standard affair in this corner of the market. But the serrated blades are pretty sharp, so you don’t have to use too much pressure to carve the apple out.
What are the downsides?
Nothing too severe. However, you do need to make the first cut very gently, or you can damage the core. Once the unit cuts into the apple, though, everything runs smooth.
- Very affordable
- Excellent ergonomic design
- The stainless steel blades are sharp
- Handle hole is pretty useful
- Not the most durable product on the market
4. Newness Premium Apple Corer Remover – Corer with the Best Ergonomic Design
This corer seems poised to give the previous product released by OXO a run for its money. And that’s great. Healthy competition always brings up a lot of quality. But which one of them is better?
Well, it largely depends on what you prefer. For instance, this corer features a beautiful ergonomic handle that makes cutting as effortless as it gets. Seriously, we wouldn’t mind seeing this design more often.
On the other hand, the people concerned with storage will probably miss the handle hole that can be found on the OXO’s unit.
When it comes to the head, the unit feels genuinely premium. The stainless steel used here is of the highest quality, and unlike the previous product, this one looks better put together. This story is made even better by the fact that the whole thing is dishwasher-friendly, so you don’t need to care about maintenance.
However, we feel that the diameter is slightly bigger than it should be. Sure, that makes the corer great for larger apples, but we couldn’t escape the feeling we were pulling out too many edible parts with the smaller ones.
As a matter of fact, this oversizing issue can be applied to the entire unit that feels somewhat bulky.
- The handle is easy to use
- Top-quality stainless steel
- The blades are very sharp
- Very easy to maintain
- Handsome price tag
- Feels a bit bulky
5. Utopia Kitchen Apple Slicer Cutter and Corer – Best Looking Corer on the Market
At first glance, this apple slicer is one very handsome piece of kitchenware. If we had to pick one unit based on the look alone, this one would easily take the number one spot.
But, the appealing, energetic look is not the only thing that speaks in favor of this product. Do you remember how we said Savorliving Apple Slicer would greatly benefit from a couple of ergonomic upgrades?
Well, you have them here. Everything feels sleek and smooth, and the handles are simply a joy to use.
However, not everything is ideal here.
Namely, much like the other units on the list, this slicer utilizes stainless steel blades as well. This time, though, they are not very sharp, so you will need to apply a bit more pressure to shred the apple into pieces.
Also, everything feels a bit flimsy, so we are not entirely sure how this bad boy holds up in the long run.
But hey, the diameter is rock solid, and the eight pieces you get at the end are a real treat to people who like bigger slices.
The bottom line, although the product is far from perfect, there is still a lot of good things going on here to make it a solid purchase.
- Very easy on the eyes
- Excellent ergonomic design
- Quality materials
- Slices apple into eight pieces
- A bit flimsy
- Not the sharpest blades on the market
Why Should You Buy An Apple Corer?
Ok, those were our top five contenders for the title of the absolute best apple corer on the market. Now, you have to ask yourself are any of these units worth your time and money when you could do the same job just as easily with your knife.
The easy answer would be “no” if your good old knife did at least a half-decent job at making the apple pie-ready. You see, the fact you got so used to something doesn’t mean that’s the best way to get around doing it.
As a matter of fact, the way our grandmas were preparing the apples for cooking is probably the least efficient way of doing that – so much time and manual work for something that can be performed with just a couple of simple moves if you have the right tool.
This situation is primarily helped by the fact that regular apple corers are usually very affordable, so you are getting a great deal of convenience for nothing more than a couple of bucks.
So, when all is said and all is done, we can safely say that apple corers (at least the good ones) make one incredibly worthwhile purchase.
Types Of Apple Corers
Now that we put this issue off the table let us take a look at some of the common types of apple corers you can find in the stores around you. This is an incredibly important feature, and the level of enjoyment you will get out of your unit will largely depend on how its type suits your needs.
So, here are the big three:
- Slicers – This is not some official name, but it’s very fitting. Why you might ask? This type of unit removes the core by shredding the apple around it into slices. This can be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you are killing two birds with one stone. On the other, if you are not pleased with the size of the slices… Well, there is very little you can do about that.
- Handheld corers – The name says it all. These are the traditional handheld units that you cut into the apple and then slowly work through the core. As you can see, this type requires a lot more manual labor, which makes them not that ideal for elderly citizens with arthritis. But, you do get to choose what you are going to do with the rest of the apple once the core is out.
- Multipurpose units – These are the products that were designed to solve all your apple-related problems with one swift stroke. However, these units often put too much thought into peeling that coring usually ends up lost in the shuffle. Since they are bigger and more robust, they also tend to cost more.
Things To Consider Before You Buy An Apple Corer
Taking into consideration just how drastically all these types are different from each other, finding some universally applicable things to consider before purchasing any of them is extremely hard. But, the ultimate goal of all kitchen tools is to last long and work efficiently.
So keeping that in mind…
The durability of one apple corer is largely determined by the materials used for its build. So, you should always look for something sturdy and reliable, like for instance stainless steel. When it comes to the bodies and handles, hard plastic will do the job just fine.
But, keep in mind this – not even the best materials in the world will save your apple corer if the manufacturer did a bad job at putting it together. So, take into account the craftsmanship as well.
In the case of handheld units, it is in your best interest to buy the corer with a serrated blade.
2. Ease Of Maintenance
Apple corers need to be cleaned after each use. That is why you should buy the unit that makes this chore as simple as possible.
Of course, stainless steel, as one of the most popular low-maintenance options on the market, has a distinct advantage here. But, any material that is dishwasher-friendly gets an easy pass as well. If the corer is not dishwasher-friendly, you should at least make sure all the parts are easy to access, remove, and put back together.
3. Corer Diameter
This applies both to slicers and handheld units as well. Your goal is to find the right balance that will allow you to remove the entire core, but don’t take away too many edible parts with it. Believe us – easier said than done.
In the case of tabletop slicers, you should also make sure that the unit is spacious enough to comfortably accommodate the apples of different sorts and sizes.
4. Ease Of Use
Last but not least, apple corers should be easy to use. As a matter of fact, as this feature is in check, we will be ready to forgive a lot of other flaws. But what makes one corer easy to use?
Well, for a start, that would be an ergonomic handle that would allow you to maintain a firm grip while you are using the peeler seems like a reasonable request. In the case of tabletop slicers, the smooth cutting mechanism makes a lot of difference as well.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
And now, it is finally the time for us to proclaim the winner and reveal what the best apple corer you can currently find on the market is. This time, we are faced with the same challenge we had to deal with when we reviewed the apple peelers – the product groups are so vastly different it’s hard to compare them directly.
So, we’ll cheat our way out of this situation the same way. There are top three picks you should take into serious consideration:
Best Corer Overall: OXO 32681 Good Grips Apple Slicer
- OXO 32681 is not the perfect apple corer, but that doesn’t change the fact we are still talking about the excellent purchase. Sure, some other products may outperform this unit in one area or another, but this one simply puts on the best overall performance and makes the least number of mistakes along the way. In other words, rock-solid.
Premium Pick: AVORLIVING Apple Slicer
- Honestly, we were in doubt about which product deserves the title of our premium pick. But, when all is said and done, we can’t imagine anything more premium than a full stainless steel body graced with a couple of incredibly sharp blades. Not the most ergonomic design, but incredibly refined nevertheless.
Budget Pick: Newness Premium Apple Corer Remover
- The title of the budget pick had to go to one of the handheld corers. Not because there is something wrong with them, they are simply inherently cheaper than their slicer cousins. Out of the two we reviewed, we found Newness Premium Apple Corer Remover better put together and simpler to use. And that is what apple corers are all about.