Top 5 Best Knife Sharpeners 2023:
- KitchenIQ 50353 Angle Adjust Adjustable Electric Knife Sharpener
- Chef’sChoice 0115207 Hone Electric Knife Sharpener
- Presto 08810 Professional Electric Knife Sharpener
- Chef’sChoice 4643 ProntoPro Diamond Hone Manual Knife Sharpener
- AccuSharp 001C Knife Sharpener
If we’d tried to break down virtually any dish in the world to the lowest common denominator, we would see that all of them are connected by one simple fact – neither one of them can be prepared without a good sharp knife.
And we are talking about the simple things here. Some of the more ambitious culinary undertakings would require that you use an entire set.
This alone doesn’t sound all that bad – all kitchens have a decent set lying on some shelf. The thing is that knives tend to wear out and become blunt as time goes by.
Well, there is a remedy for this (and we are not talking about expensive sharpening services). In one of our previous articles, we have covered a couple of affordable sharpeners that will keep your pocket blade in top shape. Now, it’s time to move to the big league.
Let us see what are some of the most popular options on the market and what we can do to get the best knife sharpener the money can buy.
5 Best Knife Sharpeners In 2023: Detailed Reviews
1. KitchenIQ 50353 Angle Adjust Adjustable Electric Knife Sharpener – Best Knife Sharpener Overall
It doesn’t take more than a quick look at this kitchenware piece to get the impression we are talking about one sleek and convenient tool that has no problem dealing with blades of different shapes and sizes.
We are happy to report that impression was preserved even when we put the unit to use.
There are several things we are impressed with here. First, even if we move past the point that the unit looks damn good, the build quality on display is not lagging behind. The materials are rock solid, and you even get a useful rubber grip that will help you keep the product firmly in place.
Bottom line, well-made, and easy to use. But what about sharpening?
Here, things somehow get even better. The unit packs two sharpening slots – one packed with the diamond interlocking other with a ceramic one. That means you will be able to cover a very wide range of blades that make contemporary kitchen sets.
Throw into the equation the easy-to-understand dial that allows you to adjust a sharpening angle, and you get a product that leaves very little to be desired.
Well, except for a bit more powerful motor and a Tungsten Carbide interlocking, that would allow you to deal with some more hardened steel. Still, a great product worth considering.
- Build to last
- Two adjustable sharpening slots
- Ceramic and diamond interlocking
- Easy to use
- Not for the toughest blades
2. Chef’sChoice 0115207 Hone Electric Knife Sharpener – Best Premium Knife Sharpener
One of the main issues we noticed about the previous product was that it was not the most suitable tool in the word for the less refined and more heavy-duty tasks you may have to perform. Well, if you were concerned with this slight performance blind spot, you will be glad to know that this sharpener has none of them.
Yeah, with three different stages to choose from (all of them featuring diamond abrasives with varying levels of abrasiveness), you will be able to tackle everything from reshaping to fine polishing.
We would like to get more freedom with sharpening angles in some of the next iterations (this way, you are stuck to 15 and 20 degrees). Still, even this variation improves the unit’s already great versatility. We are more than happy with the option to sharpen the traditionally difficult serrated blades as a consolation prize.
So, in terms of performance, everything works like a charm.
As for the look, the product definitely feels utilitarian and lacks any semblance of modern, streamlined curves. Also, the branding you can find all over the hull is simply atrocious. Keeping that in mind, the materials and the craftsmanship are both top-notch, so choose what of these two things you prefer more.
In the end, all we can say is a powerhouse tool that comes with an equally powerhouse price.
- Excellent build quality
- Three diamond-powered stages
- Powerful and steady performance
- Variety of use scenarios
- Dated design
- Only for narrow knives
3. Presto 08810 Professional Electric Knife Sharpener – Best Affordable Knife Sharpener
Now here is the product made for every pocket. Seriously, we are surprised by how well this thing performs in comparison to its price tag. Usually, manufacturers need to compromise some essential features to enter the lower price segment.
Here, that is not the case. As a matter of fact, the unit features three stages that lead the blade though an entire sharpening process, starting with Sapphirite coarse-grinding to the last stage that takes care of the polishing with the extra-fine grit ceramic wheel.
All these stages are pretty well made and provide consistent performance. You do need to press your blades and invest a bit of work on your end, but the guides are extremely safe, so there is no chance you will end up hurt.
The other thing we really like is that you get to choose between three different knife size settings (thin, medium, thick). Sure, it’s rudimentary, but you do get the option.
The thing this unit truly lacks is a bit of refinement. The build quality is more than serviceable but not really special. Also, the sharpener uses wheels that are not gentle to the blades. Some of the more sensitive knives may be worn down much more than you bargained for.
It really depends on your skill. Still, the affordable price more than makes up for this.
- Killer price-value ratio
- Three different stages
- Complete sharpening process
- Easy to use
- A bit sloppy performance
4. Chef’sChoice 4643 ProntoPro Diamond Hone Manual Knife Sharpener – Best Tabletop Knife Sharpener
And now, we are moving on to the good old manual labor. We have to admit, we were hesitant to put another Chef’s Choice on this list – especially with so many good alternatives in this price range.
But, this company really excels when it comes to high-performing kitchenware, so we had to do them the honor. And believe us, this unit is as heavy-duty as tabletop knife sharpeners get.
As we got used to seeing in the products coming from this manufacturer, the design is somewhat dated, but endurable and the quality of the materials helps this story a lot. What you need to get out of this is that the handle offers excellent grip while the bottom of the unit makes sure it won’t slide across the table when pressed.
The more important thing is that the sharpener features as many as three stages, all of them featuring diamond abrasive wheels of different grit levels. Interestingly, once again, the manufacturer decided to limit us to blades ranging between 15 and 20 degrees, but we are far keener to forgive that at this price point.
What you get in the end is an excellent tabletop unit that has no problem restoring the sharpness of even the most robust knives around your house with no sweat.
- Reasonably affordable
- Three stages with diamond wheels
- Ergonomic design
- Truly excellent quality
- Works with 15-20 degree blades
- Requires a bit of skill
5. AccuSharp 001C Knife Sharpener – Best Handheld Knife Sharpener
AccuSharp 001C Knife Sharpener is a kitchen tool with no delusions of grandeur – and we are genuinely sick and tired of the products that are making big promises only to fulfill none of them. Here, things are different. This product makes no promises whatsoever but still manages to exceed expectations.
You see, there is really nothing spectacular on display here. The body is made of serviceable aluminum and is comfortable to hold, but we would hardly call it ergonomic. Still, with no parts to be broken, we can safely assume, you will be able to get a lot of mileage out of it.
The same can be said about the sharpening slot. With no different options to choose from and only two diamond-honed Tungsten Carbide blades, you can’t expect to get much refinement. This bad boy is designed to make the knife sharp and don’t look back on the casualties.
That being said, the sharpener does its job quite decently. Sure, you don’t get enough refinement and the option to polish, but we dare you to find something that can restore the blade of any knife ranging from pocket units to the damn machete in only a couple of slides.
And you even get a nice finger guard to keep you safe while you are doing it. We are not complaining.
- Incredibly cheap
- Quality sharpening blades
- Functional design
- Finger guards
- No finesse whatsoever
- Can damage softer blades
Things You Should Consider To Get The Best Knife Sharpener
And these were our top five contenders competing for the title of the best knife sharpener you can currently find in the stores. We had a pretty good opportunity to take a look at all of their pros and cons and granted we have our own opinion on which one of them deserves to find a place in your kitchen.
However, our cup of tea may not necessarily be as tasty to you. For what it’s worth, if you are not using the knives so frequently, you can even get away with some small handheld unit.
Because of that, we are going now to present to you some of the most critical knife sharpener features we used to rank these products. Even if you don’t agree with our choices, learning more about different options and available features will aid you to make a more educated purchasing decision.
So, here are the things you should take into consideration before opening up your wallet.
1. The Type Of Sharpener
This feature has everything to do with the level of performance (and enjoyment) you are going to get out of your unit. On the downside, the number of different variations you can find in the store is truly immense and hard to cover. The silver lining is that most of them can be divided into three main groups:
- Handheld units – The name says it all; you use these sharpeners by taking them in one hand and pulling the knife through the built-in stones with the other. Don’t confuse this type with sharpening rods – we have covered them in another article. As you can guess, these units are affordable but not entirely safe and efficient.
- Tabletop units – These sharpeners are the natural step up from the handheld sharpeners. They usually feature a suction base that keeps them in place while you are doing your job. Tabletops are also a more robust and overall, more reliable alternative.
- Electric units – These sharpeners are top-tier. They require the least amount of manual labor and produce the best result. But, they need a power supply and cost the most.
2. Grit/Sharpening Material
These two things are very closely related, so we are going to cover them together – different sharpening materials usually feature the standard level of roughness so you can get a pretty good idea of how gritty the unit will be based on the material alone.
- Tungsten Carbide – One of the most common options you will see in the stores and for a good reason too. Tungsten Carbide is robust, rough, and reliable, but features probably too much grit for the sensitive blades (e.g., Japanese knives).
- Ceramic – Ceramic can be described as a sort of opposite to the previous mention. The surface is usually far softer and more used for polishing than reshaping. Still, with the proper grit (1000 and lower), you will be able to deal even with some more hardened blades.
- Diamonds – What to say – diamonds are the most efficient you can get, and they truly last forever. However, this performance and durability come at a price.
In terms of the very grit, all sharpeners feature the inscription that indicates how abrasive they are. Grit usually ranges from 8000 (primary polishing) to 220 (reshaping).
3. Sharpening Angle
The regular knife sets usually feature blades with drastically different angles. Therefore, your sharpening unit should either feature an adjustable sharpening angle or a couple of different slots. Here is the short breakdown of some of the most common angles you will probably get:
- Slicing, filleting, and paring knives – 25 to 30 degrees
- Small kitchen knives – 18 to 25 degrees (Ex: steak knives)
- Butcher and professional chef knives – 30 to 40 degrees
- Hunting knives – 30 to 40 degrees
4. Safety Features
Knife sharpeners are inherently dangerous. That is not really their fault. But, whenever you are doing something with blades (even when they are dull), you can only benefit from a degree of extra caution. This extra caution usually comes in the form of strong suction cups, ergonomic grip, deep blade slots, and, in the case of handheld units, handguards.
5. Battery-powered Or Not?
This consideration deals exclusively with the electrically-powered units, but it’s still worth mentioning. As you can probably guess, battery-powered sharpeners offer more freedom and can be used even outside. But, if you want to keep your knife sharpening game in the kitchen, their corded cousins will provide more consistent performance and better endurance.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
And we are finally at the very end. That means only one thing – it is time to reveal which product deserves to carry the title of the best knife sharpener you can currently find in the stores. Once again, we were faced with a couple of rock-solid products that all excelled in one area or another. So, check the buying guide section to see which one of them suits your needs the best.
Now that we’ve moved this small disclaimer out of the way let us take a look at our top three picks.
Best knife sharpener overall: KitchenIQ 50353 Angle Adjust Adjustable Electric Knife Sharpener
- As you could see from the review above, the only issue we had with this sharpener is that it doesn’t do a particularly great job when it comes to the strongest of blades. The thing is, most of the popular knife sets are made from reasonably manageable materials. And this is the area where KitchenIQ 50353 excels. Throw in the equation a lucrative price, and you will get a package it is very hard to say no to.
Best premium knife sharpener: Chef’sChoice 0115207 Hone Electric Knife Sharpener
- If you want to tackle a variety of knives and restore even the most stubborn blades out there, it is apparent that you will need a hard-as-nails premium product. Well, this unit is as premium as it gets. The build quality is excellent and performs even better. A bit more variety with the choice of angles would launch this sharpener to the stratosphere.
Best budget pick: Presto 08810 Professional Electric Knife Sharpener
- This sharpener may be overly zealous when it comes to making the blades sharp again. That may cause a problem if you are wielding some sensitive and expensive blades. But, if you are not that concerned with the fate and the look of your knives and need to restore them only on rare occasions, you will get a real kick out of this unit, especially considering the more than lucrative price.